Thursday, June 30, 2005

Lost in Translation

As a Filipino in a Chinese-Indian-Malay dominated country, communication is one of the first things to adjust to. You have to HEAR right to RESPOND right. For a person who loves her language so much, IT IS A STRUGGLE.

I guess I just have to change my perspective again; that I cannot achieve great progress at work, without learning how to express well in my second language – English.

I am still learning, and I WILL learn.

________

Sing-lish

(On the way to church on a taxi, Ferdie was talking to the driver…)

Driver: Oh you should try church in Serangoon road, were the archi-bishop holds mass
Ferdie (the ever moderator): Oh really, the archi-bishop e

(When we eat)

Singaporean: You see chicken rice is finish.
Ferdie/Cia: Oh its finish, what else do you have?
Singaporean: We have veggie and pok (pork), can?
Ferdie/Cia: Oh okay, we’ll have veggie and pork, with rice
Singaporean: Can?
Ferdie/Cia: Yes, can.

4 comments:

jk said...

what the? ?!?!

maloloka ako! hay naku, you better be my tour guide when i visit singapore ha.

Cia Hermosa-Jorge said...

haha oo ba! anytimesz! =) hehe

ria said...

Ano 'yung "can"? :)

Cia Hermosa-Jorge said...

Ang ibig sabihin ng 'can' - 'is that okay?' Pero since literal translation from Chinese, ang 'okay' nila is 'can'. And ang hindi okay is 'cannot'.

=)

It could also mean, 'Yes I can' when answering a question =)