Wednesday, April 20, 2005

On prejudices and the new Pope Benedict XVI

Today we have a new Pope and its been a struggle not to judge if its the right decision or not since I heard both good and bad views on the news about it. Some catholics may also think that it was a hasty decision since it only took 24 hours to decide on whether to release white or black smoke. I just tried to resist criticizing the decision. He's 78 and very old but if he can continue what John Paul II have started (I think that's what the cardinals think would happen), then all we can do is pray for his reign. They say when cardinals become Pope, they are transformed. So I'm sure the powers above will guide the new Pope.

Well, I've been thinking about prejudices in this world. Being in a foreign country, I am seen as different. And I know people have their own perceptions of me just by looking at how I walk, talk and look. I've heard horror stories of discrimination against Filipinas, but I still believe that in order to thrive in the unforgiving eye of some people, you still have to believe that if you're a good person then you'll be just fine. My theory is, good attracts good. So if youre good to others, they would also be good to you. So you just have to learn how to find the good in the person no matter what race or religion they belong to. It takes a lot of practice but I think I would like to live that way. Being a foreigner in a new country opens your eyes to these realities I may say.

Relating this to the new Pope, German as he is (even belonging to a Nazi youth camp in the past), I think its just right to give him a chance and hear what he has to say. He talked a lot to John Paul II during his reign, so I think he knows what to do next. Well that's just my opinion.

2 comments:

Daydreamer said...

hmmm..u trying to dispel my post on Ratzinger? haha. yes, lets give him a chance but i still have that feeling of distrust towards him. weird, i dont even know him personally.

Cia Hermosa-Jorge said...

I understand you just dont 'feel' him. I heard and saw a lot of people all over the globe express the same sentiments... I just tried to look at him from another perspective =) Kasi sino pang maniniwala sa kanya if us catholics dont, right?

Also wanted to see how this current event relate to my situation in this new country =)

Dont you think its nice to have different perspectives? hehe =) Toast to our online debate hahaha

Ciao!