Dear Mrs. Jo Murray,
During the earlier part of the year, I stumbled upon the documentary about you ('JK Rowling: A Year in the Life') while browsing over channels on cable TV. I listened and watched intently. Initially because I was curious but eventually because I was deeply touched by your journey.
Before that, I've never read your books but have watched all the films because I just love, love, love films. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have rebelled against reading books ever since my father told me to stop reading those epic romantic novels at the age of 12. It was then that I gave up reading fiction. Now I realize how stupid that was especially since I always had an active imagination. So except for all the required reading I need to do in school, I never touched a fictional book or novel until recently. And that would be almost 17 years after.
I'm turning 29 in a few weeks and one of the things I'm most thankful for during the past year is simply your courage and generosity to share your stories with the rest of the us. Your book freed me from my stupidity. I read your books and it was so good, exciting and funny that the avid 12 year-old reader was back. You've unlocked my mind in ways that I can't even fully explain. And I'm just deeply thankful.
I can't thank you enough since unlocking of my imagination is crucial for me to fulfill my dream of becoming a screenwriter. I've lost so many years of not practicing and writing 'cause I was busy being responsible and being the person people expected me to be. I'm sure you understand how it is. I wanted to contribute to our family income and I don't want to waste the business degree I worked for.
However, things did unfold O' so dramatically 2 years ago. I was so unhappy with my career that I thought I was going to die. That panic attack was I think worth a 1000 dementors. After which, I was forced to re-examine my life. What I really want to do and so I have figured out that I really want to be a filmmaker and specifically, to write screenplays.
I don't want to give you the impression that after that realization I was able to write right away 'cause it took me several steps to get my act together. But that moment opened my mind, heart and soul to the great possibility of realizing my dream someday. So lots of ideas came to me at random parts of the day. I was dreaming while I was awake. And 2 years later, I am writing my screenplay and hopefully make my film even with a small budget.
It is a struggle 'cause I doubt myself sometimes especially since I am so new to this. I've taken a few weekend classes but I haven't really been writing extensively over the years. But I know I just need to put my whole heart into it and celebrate the new passion-filled life I'm living especially since my family supports me in this quest.
I've finished all your books in 1 1/2 months by the way. I think it is a record for someone who gave up on fiction all together :D I'm happy to report that it's hard to put down your book. I spent a lot of sleep-deprived days 'cause I'm so eager to know what's coming up next. I just love the world you have created so much - the characters, the magic and the greatness of love. And I speak from my heart when I say that.
Towards the end of the documentary where you visited your old flat and when James was asking you random questions, I was just crying and crying because of your humble beginnings as well as your courage all throughout the years. I only hope to be as courageous as you as I continue my journey in writing. And when you were asked 'Why do you still write?' and you answered 'Because I love it and I need it', I just couldn’t stop crying harder because that's what I feel too. I feel that being a writer is my purpose and hopefully the mark I will leave this world. And there's nothing else that I want to do but write films and reach into peoples' hearts the way you did with your books.
Thank you so much for the inspiration Mrs. Murray. You are living proof of perseverance and courage against all odds. God bless you and your family.
Sincerely,
Cia Hermosa-Jorge
From Manila, Philippines

No comments:
Post a Comment